Hello, I've been wanting to play this game for quite a while but can't due to multiple reasons. It first asked me for RPG Maker VX RTP and after tweaking the .ini file I could bypass that issue, however it asks for some font which ISN'T the one that comes with the package, some VL gothic or something.
Unknown World : Demo
A downloadable game for Windows
What is Unknown World?
Unknown World is a retro-styled RPG that takes influence from all sorts of games in the genre, both new and old, and brings them into its own unique experience.
Build your party with a familiar class system, where you can choose among seven diverse classes, each with their own abilities on and off the battlefield.
What sets Unknown World apart?
Unknown World's main draw is how the make up of your party will affect your interactions with the world. Will the inhabitants of a town feel safe around your Soldier or be intimidated by your Pirate? Perhaps you can use your medic to heal someone who is sick or a Mage to burn down a thorny bush blocking a secret path.
This demo gives just a taste of the different possibilities you can take advantage of.
Open "Unknown World Demo.zip", extract to whichever folder you wish. Copy and paste "Pixelmix" to "Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Fonts" so you have the correct font for the game to use.
Click "game.exe" and enjoy.
This early version of the demo uses music from other games as placeholders. Original compositions will be made and present in later versions of the demo and full game.
All songs belong to their respective owners.
|Published||Jun 17, 2017|
|Release date||Jun 24, 2017|
|Made with||RPG Maker|
|Tags||8-Bit, Game Boy, JRPG, RPG Maker|
|Asset license||Creative Commons Attribution_NonCommercial v4.0 International|
|Average session||About an hour|
|Links||Twitter, Development Blog, Support|
Thank you for choosing to play Unknown World!
Installation is simple. Click "Unknown World Demo.exe" to extract and then click "game.exe" to play!
I hope you enjoy!
- New Intro UpdateNov 16, 2017
- Still more RTP issues?Sep 13, 2017
- Penultimate Demo!Aug 19, 2017
- Goodbye RTP version!Jul 24, 2017
- Last update broke more than it fixed...Jul 23, 2017
- Woo, another update!Jul 21, 2017
- Another updateJul 06, 2017
- Yet another UW Demo Update!Jun 27, 2017
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Sorry to hear about that. I've researched and implemented some fixes and uploaded a new version. Hopefully this should solve everything.
Unfortunately this isn't an issue I can test on my own and I don't have a reliable team of playtesters on hand, so I kinda just have to wing it.
Please let me know if there's still problems.
Awesome little demo! I had a ton of fun learning what each class can do, as well as figuring out what the different types of enemies are capable of! On top of that, the music was amazing! Can't wait for the full version! :D <3
So i downloaded the new update but there doesn't seem to be anything new at all? I went through the game like 3 times each with a fresh install and there was no new content that i could find anywhere and each time it ended after fighting the duo.
There are new interactions in the world with the Merchant and Mage classes. The hero should learn a different spell at level 2 as well.
I finished the demo multiple times using different party compositions and some things of note are as follows.
- I found the mage class a little underwhelming and not nearly as useful as another physical attacker because the costs of spells are, i wouldn't say high, but combined with the low MP pool I found it foolish to ever use spells when I could basic attack, meaning Burn, Shock and Seal never really saw any use.
- Tried the Merchant class, I'm thinking maybe the mechanics of it just don't shine too well in the demo perhaps, but I definitely found it pointless to take Merchant over Pirate, Soldier, Ranger or Dancer.
- I feel there is a sudden spike of difficulty from starting to going to the first boss, the demon duo. I had to grind for a few levels, up to 5 seemed appropriate and then gear myself with the best gear offered to be sure I didn't get one hit by them. I think there should be maybe a side quest or something in-between just to give that little boost because grinding isn't fun normally and being required to do it is even less fun. Not saying that there shouldn't be a spike from trash mobs to bosses, but there is nothing in-between that but forced/necessary grinding.
- The demo doesn't really present any moments where you actively want to use the classes skills over just auto attacking. I will say that I of course did use skills, mainly the Soldiers first two offensive abilities and I dabbled with debuffs, I don't think Medic counts for this point because its the healer class and that's just what it does so you don't have to choose between a basic attack and a special attack.
- I found fighting the Pawns a little irritating, not really difficult though, because they'd constantly inflict burn which has no curable ability or item from what I've seen and this follows into my next point which is..
- Healing, I think the Medic should be able to heal outside of combat with its SP so that you don't have to risk having your characters die and having to return to a town to spend a chunk of cash and waste time when trying to heal them during a battle. If you had a different system I think this would be overpowered in some situations, but since it takes a 1/4 to 3/4 of the Medics SP to heal i think it sounds reasonable.
- Your main selling point of classes interacting with dialogue and choices is enjoyable and it adds some replay-ability, but I don't believe it shines too well in the demo as the only NPC i found to have any interaction with this system is the Knight in Esterk? I forgot the spelling. Maybe I didn't look around hard enough, i don't know.
- I didn't find any new bugs since your latest update, but i'm sure there is a lot of stuff still needing to be interacted with that could present bugs as I didn't buy any status curing items and some other specific items like armor or weapons so they may have problems I didn't discover.
- A very minor thing, but it seems the Knife and Mallet can both be wielded by the same classes and the Knife is 10 cheaper so that seems to make the Mallet a little irrelevant, maybe add like a a damage point or two to make it worth the increased cost.
- I'm not exactly sure what kind of character the Hero is supposed to be, he gets Burn and First Aid so he seems like a jack of all trades, is there a way later on to make him a certain class or will he just learn random classes abilities?
That is about all I can think of at this moment. Hope some of it helps.
Thanks, Kokoro. This is all great feedback.
I'll take a look at rebalancing the monsters so elemental damage and sealing skills can make a bigger impact in battle.
Merchants aren't particularly fantastic in battle, more middle of the road characters. Unfortunately I didn't have many overworld interactions planned for them this early on in the game. But I have some ideas and will be implementing them shortly.
I'll definitely be looking at adjusting some things, like payout from defeated enemies so it's less of a grind to gear up, to soften that spike a bit. The idea of a sidequest is a good one.
There's no way to cure burns at the moment. It goes away after a few turns and doesn't persist after battle so your options are to either heal through it or try and finish the fight quickly. I will be implementing a skill for the medic though.
I'll be taking a look at monster rebalancing so skills are more useful.
Because SP regenerates so easily, especially when you guard, I believe it would be too exploitable to allow it outside of battle. Part of my design philosophy regarding dungeons is that they should be a constant drain on your resources and the challenge comes from using those resources carefully. Allowing you to heal from a regenerating source like that goes against this.
Right now the class system's mostly limited to some changed dialogue for a few NPCs out in the world. They give some information you might not get with a different party makeup. For example there's a man in Haragon that gives an extra hint about the next story event if you have a Pirate. However, there's not much contained to the demo and I should correct that.
I had two ideas planned for NPC events with both the Merchants and Mages but they didn't pan out. I'm planning on revisiting them though as the early game needs more of these interactions.
I'll be looking over weapon balancing to make them more unique.
The hero is a jack of all trades and cannot reclass. I'm looking at fitting him with different skills so he's more than just an amalgamation of different classes.
Again, thank you for all this feedback. It's incredibly useful.
I believe this bug was caused when i attacked an enemy while the Hero wielded the Cherry Bow, it moved so fast I didn't have a chance to confirm that, but i'm quite positive that is what happened.
Got this when using a warping feather back to Haragon. Assuming it'll be the same for any place I try to teleport to.
New bug concerning the same priest in Haragon.
I also noticed that using Poison Treatment is targeting the enemy and not the player's party.
This is very strange. It's really late so I'll have to take a look at it in the morning but maybe try a fresh install of the game?
Perhaps if you have an older version installed it's conflicting with it somehow?
I'm totally baffled, to be honest.
Interacting with the left most chest in the armoury causes this crash.
Let me tell you, you're much better than the guys I had on for playtesting.
Just uploaded a new version. Hopefully everything is ironed out.
Found a bug with saving right away. Game seems to still save, but it crashes it during the process.
Found another crash bug when interacting with the priest npc in Haragon.
That's not good. I'll fix it right away.
Ok, updated. Hopefully everything should be fixed now!